There is a lot of exciting stuff going on in the stars above us that make astronomy so much fun. The truth is the universe is a constantly changing, moving, some would say “living” thing because you just never know what you are going to see on any given night of stargazing.
But of the many celestial phenomenons, there is probably none as exciting as that time you see your first asteroid on the move in the heavens. To call asteroids the “rock stars” of astronomy is simultaneously a bad joke but an accurate depiction of how astronomy fans view them. Unlike suns, planets and moons, asteroids are on the move, ever changing and, if they appear in the night sky, exciting and dynamic.
Like rock stars, asteroids have been given their fair share of urban myth and lore. Many have attributed the extinction of the dinosaurs to the impact of a huge asteroid on the earth. This theory has some credibility and, if it is true, it evokes some pretty startling images and foreboding fears in the current reining species on earth, the human race.
The fact that asteroids are fast moving space debris only makes their movement and activity more interesting and exciting. Unlike a moon, planet or star, the odds that an asteroid could hit the earth are entirely reasonable and in fact, there are many documented cases of small asteroids making it through our atmosphere and leaving some pretty impressive craters in the earth’s surface.
Popular culture has happily embraced the idea of an asteroid impact. The idea has spawned many a science fiction story adding the idea that alien life forms may ride asteroids to our world and start a “war of the worlds” situation. But by far, the most talked about concept that has captured the imagination and the fears of science fiction fans and the general public is of another asteroid hitting the earth that could wipe out life as allegedly happened to the dinosaurs. In fact, the movie “Armageddon” was based on this idea and the concept that somehow mankind could avert that catastrophe with technology.
But probably the best way to calm our fears and replace science fiction with science is with understanding and knowledge. The truth is, there has been a lot of study of asteroid activity and the serious scientific community has gained significant knowledge of these amazing celestial bodies. A number of probes to asteroids have been conducted which have given us a wealth of information about their composition and how we might predict their behavior.
We now know that the majority of asteroids we get to witness come from an asteroid belt that exists between Mars and Jupiter. It is from this community of asteroids that many of the notable asteroids emerged. Scientists have gained significant knowledge about the composition of asteroids and separated them into classes including class S which comes of the part of the belt that is closest to Mars, classes C, D and V which are classified by composition and a class called “Centaurs” whose flight patterns take them closer to Jupiter and Uranus.
Some of the probes NASA has conducted on near flying asteroids have performed some pretty amazing studies of these eccentric celestial bodies. In 1994 the Galileo probe got within 1000 miles of the asteroid Ida and discovered that Ida actually had its own moon.
Other probes have fired impactors into asteroids and even landed on an asteroid to produce some amazing scientific data for us. There is much to learn about asteroids in our love of astronomy and that knowledge only makes our enjoyment of seeing them in the cosmos even more exciting.
- ► 2011 (578)
- 40 glocc talkin money contracts hits on his head
- Exclusive: Sheek Louch Speaks On Beef With 50 Cent...
- Swizz Beatz Talks About His Partnership With Reebo...
- Luke Campbell Lands Assistant Coach Job For Miami ...
- 1 1/2 YEAR OLD BOY SHOT TO DEATH!!
- Kobe's Reverse Bucket in Traffic
- Lil Kim Fires Back At Nicki Minaj With New Diss So...
- Jamie Foxx's ‘Best Night Of My Life' Cover Art And...
- The Google Tablet: Head to Head with Apple?
- Pimp C - True Story
- 7" NETBOOK - 300MHZ / 128MB RAM / 2GB HD / WINDOWS...
- HOOD RAT BABIE DOLL LOL
- BUY THE RULES & THE GAME EBOOK NOW ITS OFFICALY RE...
- NEW TELL ALL EBOOK COUNT DOWN HERES THE COVER ON S...
- T.I. Pens Blog, Says He's “Sick And Motherf*cking ...
- BRIDGEPORT BARBIE
- Unrleased Footage: The Last Days Of The Roc Pt. 4!...
- If you're anti-Barbie and also against the death ...
- Naughty Barbie: Adults Admit Ken and Barbie Used t...
- Pimp C - Last Interview Before Death
- UFC 122 Weigh In
- THE ATTACK OF AN OLD RACIST WHITE WOMAN!
- Face to face with the racist White supremacist She...
- EVIL Racist White Woman's Rant And Attack A Black ...
- Spider Loc In Jail With Bail Set At $100K!!! - BRE...
- Jordan Maxwell - You are property of the Rothschil...
- Luke Rudkowski - 'U.S. media doesn't want truth'
- Luke Rudowski Busted Pocketing Your Donations-We K...
- Kim Kardashian and The Dream Courtside
- Aldo Dance Contest
- Join Hoodtube.COM
- Lil Scrappy Denies Being Robbed By Yung Berg
- The Thespian’s Guide to Acting Schools in New York...
- Faberge Eggs have always been special to me
- American Indian Art Auctions: Beadwork
- War Stories by Billy Wright (rappers clip 1)
- P.S.A PRISON POPULATION IS SLAVERY
- Aretha Franklin Cancels Shows Due To Poor Health
- Kanye West Claims He Helps Taylor Swift to Be More...
- Top Paying Keywords
- Comets - Visitors From Beyond.
- Bonding with the Universe.
- Astronomy or Astrology
- License Plate Search - How to Trace License Plate ...
- University Research into Alternative Energy
- How to Seek Grants for Alternative Energy R & D
- Alternative Energy Development in Japan
- Alternative Energy from the Ocean
- RULES & THE GAME
- 2010 Puerto Rican Day Parade with Pdiddy, Hot 97, ...
- ▼ November (52)